Wednesday, January 16, 2008

qwerty


As I have mentioned before, I am trying to get into school to be a court reporter. The career sounds perfect to me. You would essentially get to be a "fly on the wall" in court cases, depositions, and other things that most people don't get to experience very often. For someone, such as myself, who loves to hear the latest scoop, I think I am a match for this job. Court reporters are self-employed. Most go through agencies that set up your jobs for a fee. The money is pretty darn good too. HOWEVER, to pass the state mandated test to receive your accreditation you have to type 225 wpm. That is freakin flying! Granted I would be typing in short hand and I will have just completed 4 semesters of typing classes, that is still something that weighs heavy on my mind.
I have always been an average typer. I haven't ever really paid attention to my speed until I decided that I want to be a court reporter. Well, I wasn't as fast a typer as I remembered myself being the last time I was actually timed. So, I sit at work and since I have nothing better to do, I do typing tests. All day. Everyday. I have improved my speed a good bit, like 25-30 extra wpm. That's good, but it is still not even close to 225 wpm. I guess now I am afraid that I will get into the classes and the instructor will pull me to the side and say "Are you really sure this is what you want to do? Maybe you should try something that doesn't involve typing." I am willing to try anyway though. I haven't been in school in 9 years, but I am going to give it my all anyway. I am tired of being under paid and under appreciated. I feel I have too much potential to just be the girl that answers the phone for the rest of my life. I want things out of life that I can't afford on my current salary, and if I have learned anything in life it is that I am the only one who can get me the things I want.

8 comments:

PrincessGreen17 said...

That is a very valuable lesson...one I should probably do some more thinking about! I'm very impressed (I don't know if you can use the word proud about someone you look up to?) that you're going back and trying to make things better for yourself and get the things you want. I hope an instructor wouldn't pull you aside and say that! You sound like you'll be working too hard for that to be possible. Is that a picture of a typewriter like the one you would be using?

Unknown said...

Lord, woman, 225 wpm? I didn't know that was humanly possible. I can't wait to see your flyin' fingers in action!

Anonymous said...

You're always over prepared so I wouldn't worry about not doing well. Remember the P&C test? You studied for at least 2 months before the class even started. Most people don't even pick up their book until the day of class. You'll do fine and I'm sure there will be a lot of people in the class that are no where near as prepared as you are.

BabyMakes4 said...

You can do it. I've always wondered how those people type so fast. I want to see you in action too. I think it is awesome that you are going back.

over my head said...

Well, thank you all so much for the encouragment! I think I am also nervous about just going back to school after this long period. I am going to keep practicing as much as I can.

over my head said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
over my head said...

Oh, and that is a pic of a stenograph. That is what I would use as a court reporter.

taylor said...

Well, I know what you mean about feeling that way... but I went to college for 5 years, had to pass a registry exam, and am now a quarter away from finishing my Master's degree, and I'm still under-paid and under-appreciated... my profession as a whole is so under-paid and under-appreciated it's pathetic. I hope court-reporting is more fulfilling for you!